LinkedIn is Discontinuing InMail Message Ads; here’s what you need to know
LinkedIn is making significant changes to the way businesses can deliver InMail ads to target customers on its advertising platform, with the discontinuation of InMail message ads from June 1st, 2023. This change comes after InMail ads had already been unavailable in the European Union since January due to GDPR requirements.
To us, it kind of feels that LinkedIn has not provided much notice of this change, with announcements not being widely publicized to LinkedIn Ads account holders.
In this article, we highlight the implications of this change, the alternative ad format Conversation Ads, and how they will evolve according to the information provided by LinkedIn.
Impact on Existing Sponsored Messaging Ad Formats
As the new and improved conversation ad format is gradually released, users will notice changes to Sponsored Messaging ad formats. Legacy conversation ad campaigns will automatically transition to a new and improved conversation ad format when available.
The InMail message ad format will no longer be available in Campaign Manager once the new and improved conversation ad format is available. No exact date has been confirmed as to when InMail message ads will no longer be available.
It’s important to note that while InMail message ads will no longer be available in Campaign Manager once the new and improved conversation ad format is available, LinkedIn will continue to run any existing InMail message ad campaigns until June 19th, 2023. After this date, all InMail message ad campaigns will be automatically migrated to the conversation ad format.
Another key factor to note when using any LinkedIn InMail message campaigns is that conversation ad campaigns cannot target audiences within the European Union (EU). If your campaign includes both EU and non-EU targeting, the campaign will continue to deliver to non-EU audiences only. See this LinkedIn help article for more details.
What are LinkedIn Conversation Ads?
Conversation Ads are designed to provide a more interactive and also mobile-friendly experience that allows advertisers to create more personalized conversations with their target audience.
Some of the key characteristics of Conversation Ads include:
- Multiple Call-to-Action (CTA) buttons: Conversation Ads allow advertisers to include multiple CTAs within the ad, giving recipients multiple options to interact with the content. This feature helps in increasing user engagement and driving better results
- Customizable welcome message: With Conversation Ads, advertisers can create a customizable welcome message that will greet the recipient when they open the ad. This feature is particularly useful in creating a personalized experience that can help to increase engagement.
- Automated message sequencing: Conversation Ads allow advertisers to create a sequence of automated messages that will be triggered based on the recipient’s responses. This feature is helpful in guiding the conversation and creating a natural flow that can lead to better conversion rates.
- Rich media support: Conversation Ads support rich media formats such as images, videos, and attachments. This feature allows advertisers to create visually appealing and engaging ads that can capture the recipient’s attention and increase engagement.
- Reporting and analytics: LinkedIn provides detailed reporting and analytics for Conversation Ads, including metrics such as click-through rates, conversion rates, and engagement rates. This data can help advertisers to optimize their ad campaigns and improve their results over time.
Transitioning from InMail Message Ads to Conversation Ads
Switching to the Conversation Ad format may be annoying if you prefer message ads, but changing to conversation ads is relatively straightforward.
Here are some 5 pro tips to help you make the transition:
- Review your existing InMail message ads: Take a look at your existing InMail message ads and evaluate their performance. Identify the key elements that worked well and those that did not. This information can help you to create more effective Conversation Ads.
- Identify your target audience: Determine your target audience for the Conversation Ads and create a message that resonates with them. Ensure that your message is personalized and relevant to their needs and interests.
- Create a welcome message: Craft a welcome message that will greet the recipient when they open the Conversation Ad. The message should be engaging and encourage the recipient to continue the conversation.
- Create a message sequence: Plan out the message sequence for your Conversation Ad. The sequence should be natural and conversational, guiding the recipient toward the desired action.
- Include rich media: Use rich media formats such as images, videos, and attachments to make your Conversation Ads more engaging and visually appealing.
- Monitor and optimize: Keep a close eye on the performance of your Conversation Ads and make adjustments as needed. Use the reporting and analytics provided by LinkedIn to track your results and identify areas for improvement.
Understanding the Difference between Message Ads and Conversation Ads
Before diving into the process of replacing your Message Ads, it is essential to understand the differences between the two ad formats.
Message Ads provided the ability to include longer form messages for people to read in their InMai box similar to a normal InMail message received from another profile contact. Very similar to an email it allowed key information to be structured in bullet points and to add links and one main call to action button to click to a website or a lead generation form (typically).
While Message Ads were more of a one-way communication method, Conversation Ads allow for more interactive and personalized experiences, offering multiple response options and rich media support. The main elements in conversation ads are having smaller concise messages that are in stages, with message receivers having the ability to click different buttons to customize their message reading journey depending on how engaged they are with the messages and how relevant the message is for them. As previously mentioned, Conversation Ads are much more suitable for viewing on mobile devices as well, and so may help achieve more campaign objectives in regions such as Asia, which is much more mobile user-focused.
Setting up a New Conversation Ad Campaign
To replace your Message Ad campaign, you first need to set up a new Conversation Ad campaign by following these steps:
- Log in to LinkedIn’s Campaign Manager.
- Click on “Create Campaign.”
- Choose the “Conversation Ad” objective from the available options.
- Fill in the necessary details, such as campaign name, start and end dates, and budget.
Specific Format Requirements of Conversation Ads
LinkedIn provides specific format requirements for Conversation Ads, which can be found here. Some of the requirements include:
- Banner File Type (optional): JPG or PNG
- Banner Image Size (optional): 300 x 250 pixels
- Banner Image File Size (optional): 2MB
- Ad Name (optional): 255 characters
- Message Text: 500 characters
- Custom Footer: 2500 characters
- Call-to-Action: 25 characters
- Landing page URL: Required
- URL prefix: http:// or https://
- URL characters: 1024 characters for destination field URL
Conversation Ads Templates for Different Campaign Use Cases
LinkedIn provides a template presentation that showcases examples of different Conversation Ads structures for various ad campaign use cases. These templates can be a valuable resource for marketers looking to create effective Conversation Ads campaigns.
Key Points to Note
The sunset of InMail message ads on the LinkedIn Ads platform from June 1st, 2023, marks a significant shift in the advertising landscape on the platform.
So start exploring and familiarizing yourselves with Conversation Ads as an alternative message Ads format which is a more interactive and personalized alternative, but only if you are targeting profiles outside the EU.
By understanding the key characteristics, and format requirements and leveraging the provided templates, marketers can successfully transition to Conversation Ads and continue achieving their marketing objectives on LinkedIn.
As LinkedIn prepares to sunset InMail Message Ads and transition to Conversation Ads, it’s important to know when and when not to use LinkedIn Ads as a paid marketing advertising platform option.
At Taksu Digital, we specialize in creating and managing LinkedIn ads that drive results. Our team of experts will work with you to develop a customized ad campaign that meets your specific goals and targets the right audience. Whether it’s lead generation, brand awareness, or driving website traffic, we have the expertise to help you succeed on LinkedIn.
Contact us today to learn more about our services and take the first step toward achieving your digital advertising goals.